Anthea Julian Dineo Moys
Date of Birth: 23 October 1980 Place of Birth: Johannesburg, South Africa
- Wits School of Arts: Bachelor of Fine Arts, graduated in 2004 with Honors.
- Wits School of Arts: MAFA, completed (with distinction) March 2008. Dissertation topic: Enacting play: Performance in the Public Domain. LINK to MA: http://wiredspace.wits.ac.za/handle/10539/6840
- MAPS (Master of Arts in the Public Sphere) in Ecole cantonale d’art du Valais, Sierre, Switzerland, 2005.
- Lefika Art Therapy Course, 2010.
- ACT (Arts & Culture Trust) Master Class in Monitoring and Evaluation, 2011.
- Teaching and Learning Course, Advetech, Vega, 2011.
- 6-week course in Mindfulness Based Living practice, 2015.
- Path to the Podium: 3-day course in conducting, Wits Choir, July 2016.
- Art Therapy and Social Activism short full-time course, University of Johannesburg, July 2016.
- Master Class in Facilitating Creative Learning Spaces, Kaos Pilot School, Aarhus, February 2018.
- Several courses in Independent Researcher Development training, Northumbria University, 2018-19.
- 3-day Teacher Training Course for Higher Education, Northumbria University, October 2019.
- Ph.D. candidate at Northumbria University, since Oct 2018.
AWARDS and NOMINATIONS:
- Winner of a 3-year practice-as-research PhD Studentship at Northumbria University 2018 – 2021.
- Selected artist for 10-day games workshop with Carsten Holler, Fondacion Botin, Italy 2017.
- Winner of the Standard Bank Young Artist Award for Performance Art (inaugural) for 2013.
- Lecturer award for D&AD (Design and Art Direction) Student Award for mentoring winning student, 2012.
- Selected as one of Mail & Guardians Top 200 South Africans, 2011.
- Special invite and attended Michelle Obama’s Forum on Women and Leadership, 2011.
- Braitt – Everard Read Award, 2009.
- Merit Award Wits University, 2005.
COMMISSIONED PERFORMANCES FOR FOLLOWING FESTIVALS:
- PALS (Performance Art Links Sweden), PAB (Performance Art Bergen) and New Turku Performance Festival Finland for Just Follow These Instructions And You Will Be Fine (on the night) as part of History Will Be Kind To Me For I Intend To Perform It traveling 1 month residency, Sweden, Finland and Norway, 2018.
- Playful Arts Festival, The Portrait Exchange, Eindhoven, 2018.
- GIPCA Live Art festival ReChoir! with Roberto Pombo, Cape Town, 2017.
- ‘Basha Uhuru’ Youth Festival, Bright Night Runners and My Alex performances, Johannesburg, 2016.
- Fakugesi Afro Tech Riot festival Gqom Together collaboration with Original Swimming Party, Lindiwe Matshikiza, Leboghang Rasathaba and Lasta Mkhize, Johannesburg, 2016.
- Afro Vibes Festival in collaboration with Friction Arts, Birmingham, UK, 2014.
- National Arts Festival, South Africa in response to winning Standard Bank Young Artist Award: Anthea Moys vs The City of Grahamstown, 2013.
- Antigel Festival, Anthea Moys vs The City of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland, 2014.
- Infecting The City: Spier Performing Arts festival: Human Right/Human Rite: November 2009 and Jan and Feb 2010 and “Treasure” Cape Town, 2011.
- Women in Arts Festival, Newtown Arts Alive Festival, Johannesburg, 2009.
FESTIVALS, ART FAIRS, CONFERENCES, SYMPOSIUMS, TALKS: Commissioned Performances, talks and workshops
- ‘AMAZE’: talk and workshop, Berlin, 2019.
- ‘… and then what? A Play Symposium’, Glasgow, 2019.
- TaPRA (Theatre and Performance Research Association) conference contribution, Exeter, 2019.
- ‘Ludic Rooms’: talk and playbook for their ‘Herbert Lates – Play’ day, Coventry, 2018.
- ‘Playful Arts Festival’: talk and Portrait Exchange, Eindhoven, Netherlands, 2018.
- ‘Kloge Fredage’ artist talk and playing, November, Capital of Children, Billund, Denmark, 2017.
- ‘State of Influence’ media conference, June, Johannesburg, 2017.
- Windybrow Centre for the Arts, Breathless Tour with Theresa Phuti Johannesburg, 2017.
- ‘Experimenting Experiencing the City’ conference, “Performing Publics” presentation and
- ‘Experiential Sunset Run’, Museum Afrika, Johannesburg, 2017.
- Energy 21 Conference, Facilitator and ‘Activator’ for Meropa, Johannesburg, 2016.
- Creative Mornings, theme: ‘Fantasy’, November, Market Theatre, Johannesburg, 2016.
- Creative Womxn, Between 10 & 5, Johannesburg, 2016.
- The Social Muscle Club with Alma Martha, co-produced, Johannesburg, 2016.
- Creative Intersections Conference: University of Johannesburg & Arts & Culture Trust: Play!shop, 2016.
- Serious Fun Symposium, Cape Town, University of Cape Town, 2014.
- FNB Jo’burg Art Fair The Artist is Arm Wrestling conceptualization and performance, Johannesburg,
- Play Publik festival, with Invisible Playground, talk about play in South Africa & Berlin, 2012.
- World Summit on Arts and Culture, commissioned performance, Johannesburg, 2009.
- BildMuseet ‘Urban Concerns’ exchange project, Umea, Sweden, 2008.
- History Will Be Kind To Me For I Intend to Perform It 1-month traveling residency to perform at 3 performance art festivals, Finland, Norway, Sweden August-September, 2018.
- Astrid Noack’s Atelier 3-week residency, Copenhagen, Denmark, May, 2018.
- A4 Arts Foundation 4-day residency March, Cape Town, February, 2018.
- Astrid Noack’s Atelier 2-week residency, Copenhagen, Denmark, Aug-Sep, 2017.
- CC Joburg Glasgow 1 month, billboard commission and residency at Ithuba Art Gallery, July-August, 2015.
- The Johannesburg Pavilion 10-day residency, the 56th Venice Biennale, May, 2015.
- Afro Vibes Festival: 3-week residency for the development of “The Tin Can Choir” in collaboration with Friction Arts, Birmingham, 2014.
- Standard Bank Young Artist Award: resident artist in Grahamstown for the development of “Anthea Moys vs The City of Grahamstown” April – July 2013. Resident artist in Geneva for the development of “Anthea Moys contre les Communes Geneve”, for Antigel Festival, December 2013 – February ‘14.
- Monash University South African Artist in Residence Program, Melbourne Australia Feb – April, 2010
- Infecting The City: Spier Performing Arts festival: Human Right/Human Rite: November 2009 and Jan and Feb 2010 and “Treasure”: Cape Town, February, 2011.
- 1 Mile Squared: Johannesburg Art Gallery, Visiting Arts and British Council initiative, Johannesburg, 2009.
- Kin:Be:Jozi: part of the Joubert Park Project – exchange project between artists from Bern, Kinshasa and Johannesburg. Duration: 6 months. Base: August House, 2007.
- 2-month SAARI residency in Saari, Finland, Sep-Oct, 2020.
ADDITIONAL EMPLOYMENT/WORK EXPERIENCE:
Teaching & Mentoring:
- Associate Lecturer at University of Northumbria 2nd yrs Contemporary Performance: Play and Performance, Jan – May and Foundation Course for Drama, ‘Art and the City’ Oct-Nov, 2019.
- Falmouth University: 3 days of Play workshops for 100 X 3rd years and 12 X MA students, Sep, 2019.
- Helsinki Art Academy talk and workshop, Aug, 2018.
- Universität der Künst Berlin mentored Masters student, May – July, 2018.
- Vega School of Brand Leadership Creative Development part-time lecturer, Feb – July, 2016.
- Fresh Produce – an exhibition of emerging artists brought to you by Rand Merchant Bank: Mentored approx. 20 emerging artists over 6 months, May – June 2016.
- De La Salle Holy Cross College High School Visual Arts and Culture teacher (G8-12) March – June 2015.
- Vega School of Brand Leadership Creative Development lecturer, full time between 2011 – 2013 Including Honours Supervision.
- Lectured periodically at University of the Witwatersrandfrom 2006 – 2014. Courses included: 1st years: Drawing and Performance, for Ithuba Residency project: Backspace (retrace) (2014), “Observation, Intervention and Participation: site-specific performance” (self-designed course, 2010), “Reading the Contemporary” and “Land Art: Contexts and Display” (2009), FVPA course on Play (2011), Modernism Beyond the West’ (2008).
- Has also lectured courses at University of Johannesburg(2007) and Rhodes University (2008)
- Vega Imagination Lab:Creative Process lecturer from 2008 – 2011.
- The Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls: Creative Performance and Installation block with artist Bronwyn Lace: April – October 2010.
Research, Workshop Facilitation & Project Management:
- Play Retreats X 2 at Tara Rokpa Centre as a co-play facilitator, Johannesburg, 2017 and 2019.
- The LEGO Foundation: Capital of Children, researcher and facilitator: how to communicate research of ‘Learning Through Play’ in an accessible way through the arts. October 2017 – February 2018, Billund, Denmark.
- The Coloured Cube, project manager and head of the ‘Activations’ section, December 2016 – August 2017, Johannesburg.
- CounterPlay Festival: “The Best Workshop” Play facilitator, Denmark, April 2017.
- South African Mobility for the Blind Trust (SAMBT) practical phone photography workshop, July 2016, Johannesburg.
- Johannesburg Development Agency & The Coloured Cube: “My Alex: youth perspectives on space” workshop facilitator, May-June 2016
- Assemblage Mentored 20 young artists for their “Fresh Produce” mentoring program Turbine Art Fair Feb, over 6 months, 2016, Johannesburg.
- EcoMobility project management and designed a public game for people to access info about eco-mobility, the Coloured Cube, October 2015, Johannesburg.
- HIVOS Southern Africa Play, Risk and Creativity workshop for the Zambia Media and Creativity Fund, March 2013, Zambia.
- A Maze, Goethe Institute and The Bag Factory: Flipside Game 8-day weekend designed and facilitated workshops in collaboration with Berlin based site-specific games collective Invisible Playground, 2012, Johannesburg.
- Goethe Institut: <dis/play> Performance & Play workshops with children co-created a performance together at Ansteys Building, 2012, Johannesburg.
- VANSA (Visual Arts Network South Africa) Goethe on Main Project Space workshop facilitator, 2011, Johannesburg.
- Wits School of the Arts and Nirox Foundation: Developed “HIV/AIDS: in it together” project. Project Director, workshop facilitator, and 10-day weekend workshops, 3 site-specific performances that communicated meaningful messages about HIV/AIDS in a positive way, 2011, Johannesburg.